Prevent or pay out...corner cutting can cost
In today's economy it's understandable that every business will be looking at more ways to save money and be more profitable, but at what cost? Ensuring the health and safety of its employees should always be high up on the list of priorities for any business. Failing to do that will result in absent staff and a loss in both production and profit.
Unfortunately accidents at work are happening rather too frequently with slips trips and falls being the main causes. As many of these accidents could have been prevented they result in the injured party claiming compensation from their employer for their injuries. So not only has the business lost productivity they have also lost a lot of money.
So what can you do to help prevent accidents at work?
- Ensure the floor surface is suitable avoiding a very smooth floor surface in areas that could get wet or contaminated, like kitchens for example. Anti-slip types of flooring can be fitted in areas that are likely to get wet a lot
- When floor cleaning is being done or has been done ensure the area is sectioned off and clearly marked with cones advising of wet floors. The use of scrubber dryers removes the need to section or mark the area
- Ensure any spills are cleaned up immediately
- Never leave any cables trailing. I have often seen extension leads stretching across desks in offices and in the walkway of employees
- Ensure things are not piled up next to desks. Boxes and files should be out of the way ensuring employees have a clear walkway in their place of work
- Make sure lighting is sufficient in dark areas
- Make sure the things an employee needs are reachable without the need to climb
- Stairways must be kept clear, clean and dry to prevent falls
The correct type of commercial cleaning plays a big part in preventing accidents at work to both staff and customers. Commercial premises such as supermarkets, shopping centres and airports for example are places that have huge volumes of foot traffic and will require frequent floor cleaning. Slips are not an option here which is why the use of professional cleaning machines such as scrubber dryers is the best choice as they leave floors spotless and completely dry.